Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

I recently did a display at work to highlight Suicide Prevention Awareness Month and have received a lot of great feedback. Someone near and dear to my heart said, 'Wish I saw more of this as a young adult - would have made me feel less alone'. And I couldn't agree more. I speak candidly about my mental health struggles, including my anxiety and history of an eating disorder, but I rarely share my depression, self-harm, and suicidal ideation.


I remember the first time I cut myself. I couldn't tell you how old I was; I just remember breaking a snow globe and using the shattered glass. Self-harm wasn't talked about when I was growing up, you just knew people who did it because people would gossip, but that was it. Mental illness and mental health were not a thing people talked about openly. I cut for many years, mainly because it made me feel. I struggled to cover up some of the marks; until recently, I could see the scars. If I look hard enough, I can see them, but I'm done searching. The first time Stefan kissed me is something I will never forget; he was holding my hand and saw the marks on my wrist. I remember him rubbing his thumb across the cuts and whispering, 'oh my gosh'. Or something to that effect. Unfortunately, it isn't necessarily the kiss I remember, but the way he spoke made me realize that somebody cared about me, maybe I was worth something.


I struggled with self-worth and feeling like I was not good enough for as long as I could remember. That self-loathing I experienced is what made me harm myself. I thought many times throughout my life that everyone around me and I would, in fact, be better off dead. I never thought I had attempted suicide, but as I was writing this, a memory came to me; I did. I won't go into the details because that is not important; what is essential is that I am still here. 


I've made so much progress regarding my mental health in recent years, but I still have my down moments. I have so much to be grateful for, but being in this world is hard. I choose to get out of bed every day, spend time with my family, work as hard as possible, and be kind to every person I meet. Everyone has their shit, and if I can make even one person feel not so alone, I am happy.


Everything is temporary and will pass in time. You matter, I matter, everyone has a story to tell, and that is why we need you here. We can all make a difference in the lives of others, but to do so, we need to be here. The world can be a scary place. A place where you are bullied, bruised, defeated, scared, etc. As lonely as the world can feel, you are not alone. Find someone you can talk to; if not someone in your circle, contact the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Call me Popeye

The Lies We Tell Ourselves

My mind is full